Broken surface cover

Surface covers are also known as manhole covers; gully covers or drain covers.

If a surface cover is on private property and is blocked or overflowing this is the responsibility of the landowner of that private property.

If a surface cover is on Essex County Council Highway land it could either be our responsibility or a utility company. If you would like to check the boundary of a highway please click here, you will need to enable the Highway Record layer in the Assets Category

Most utility companies surface covers have a company name on them, if this is the case please contact them first, alternatively, tell us

If you have checked the information above and you believe the cover is Essex County Councils responsibility, please click the image below

Broken drain coverOpen drain coverCrack round drain cover

If you believe the cover belongs to a utility Company, please contact the relevant company

Essex and Suffolk Water
UK Power Networks
National Grid
Anglian Water
Thames Water
Virgin Media