Apply for a new, or to extend a, vehicle crossing or dropped kerb

A vehicle crossing, or dropped kerb, is when a kerb is lowered and the footpath strengthened, to let vehicles move between roads and properties.

If you’d like to build or extend one of these, you’ll need permission from Essex County Council.

Who can have a vehicle crossing?

  1. Your location must meet the criteria
  2. If your location is on a classified road (A, B or Class III road) you’ll need planning permission before you apply. Check with your local council if you’re unsure whether you need this. You should also check with your local council planning department for any local conditions you may need to comply with, such as a covenant. In particular you should check with Harlow District council where you will require 'open front parking” consent and Epping Forest District, if you are a Council tenant or if you are a freehold or leasehold owner of a former Council property as you will require consent for “off street garden parking”.
  3. The contractor doing the work must be suitably qualified. We’ll need you to submit this information to us for checking before we can allow them to work on the highway (See FAQ for requirements).
  4. You need to agree to our terms and conditions and construction specifications.

How much does permission cost?

The Initial Vehicle Crossing application costs £. The fee is non-refundable and covers a site visit, a search of underground apparatus (i.e. gas, electric) and administration processes.

If your application is approved an Application to Implement by Road Opening Notice costs £ and is payable by your chosen contractor.

The vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) fees are non-Vatable.

How do I apply?

You will need:

  • A photograph of the proposed site (optional)
  • A sketch plan including measurements (mandatory)
  • A copy of any relevant planning permissions (mandatory)
  • Written consent from the property owner (mandatory)

Find out more

If you have any questions, please refer to the questions and answers below. 

Important related links

Terms and conditions for vehicle crossings undertaken by the householder’s chosen contractor:
In order for us to approve a vehicle crossing at your property, your application must satisfy the criteria
The construction specification for a residential or industrial vehicle crossing.
Your chosen contractor must adhere to the following PPE requirements

Questions and answers

Select a question to reveal/hide the answer:

Once we have received your completed application(s), we will process your payment and arrange for an inspector to visit the proposed site. The inspector will carry out all the necessary checks against the criteria, and a decision will be made to either grant preliminary consent for the vehicle crossing, or to decline the application.

Once the Vehicle Crossing has been given consent, you will also be sent the information on the Statutory Undertakers that are affected (gas, electric). You will need to pass this onto your contractor and they need to contact us via the website to book the road space. It is illegal to work on the highway without the permit being in place and they are liable to fines.

Vehicle crossing applications can be declined for a number of reasons, for example: - Proposed site does not meet the criteria - Insufficient frontage at proposed site - Poor visibility - Proximity to existing street furniture (i.e. street lights, bus stops etc.) We will contact you to explain our reasons for declining an application.

In 2009 the criteria by which we grant permission for vehicle crossings changed. Unless your application meets the current criteria requirements we cannot grant permission for a vehicle crossing.

You can, providing your vehicle crossing’s dropped distance is no wider than 4.5 metres (5 kerb lengths) and meets all the other requirements.

Both you and your neighbour will need to apply for a new vehicle crossing separately online using the link above. Both of you will need to answer yes on the question stating, ‘Is this application for one property?’ Where permitting, the inspector will approve for a shared access following site attendance.

Please contact our Development Management Team in the first instance –, who will guide you through the process to follow.

There are two ways to progress request for repair to damaged vehicle access.

The first way is to report your vehicle crossing surface defect using our online reporting system

Alternatively, if you wish to pay to have the vehicle crossing fixed yourself, you can complete your request using the online vehicle crossing application process via the link above. If you choose this option, please complete your application the same way you would do for a new vehicle crossing and add your repair details in the notes section.

Providing your application has been granted preliminary consent, the process can take several weeks to complete.

Essex County Council will need to obtain full details of any street apparatus and utilities in the proposed vehicle crossing location; this is known as a ‘Stats Request’. Your application will be on hold until we’ve received this information, and we will provide you with an estimated timescale for how long your application is likely to take. Once this stage is complete, you will receive a copy of the Stats along with additional information for you to pass on to your contractor. Your contractor will then liaise with us to agree the start date.

On occasions there will be certain conditions that must be met by both you as the applicant and your chosen contractor. One of our inspectors will attend site following completion of the works to ensure these conditions have been met.

Any work within or affecting the highway is to be agreed by Essex County Council, the Highway Authority, as we are responsible for the maintenance of the highway.

No, our minimum parking space dimensions (5 metres perpendicular depth by 2.5 metres width) are to accommodate for all types of vehicles up to the size of a large van. We understand your current vehicle would fit in your proposed parking area however this may not be large enough for any future vehicles you may obtain or for any future owner’s vehicles.

No, however you need to seek permission from the land owner of the road.

The number of kerbs are calculated from the property boundary so if the neighbour has more this would not prevent an extension on your side.

No, this is not a safe manoeuvre to enter and exit across the highway. We only encourage a vehicle to enter or exit their private drive at right angles, ±10 degrees tolerance, with the highway.

Yes, our vehicle crossing application is for granting you permission to move a vehicle across a highway verge or footway under the Highway Authority’s powers stated in Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980.

Providing your vehicle crossing does not conflict with any physical features such as a bus shelter, pole and/ or the high raised (Kassel) kerbs where a passenger would enter a bus and meets the rest of our criteria then this would not be an issue.

This will depend on the decision of the local tree officer, who shall be consulted during the initial inspection process of your application, which is once the application fee has been submitted. We are unable to process without the application fee as a site inspection is required.

These applications will take longer to process.

Please be aware if we can find no way of accommodating a vehicle crossing without it having a detrimental impact on a mature or important tree then permission for the vehicle crossing may be declined.


This will depend on the decision of the Street Lighting Team, who shall be consulted during the initial inspection process of your application. We are unable to process without the application fee as a site inspection is required.

This should not affect our decision on whether you have a vehicle crossing however please be aware a motorist will be able to park in the parking bay legally. You can apply to remove the parking bay under our Traffic Regulation Order process, which will require an additional fee and costs to complete the removal works. However, as this procedure goes through a consultation process there is no guarantee the parking bay can be removed.

There is no clear answer to this question. An application would need to be made first, so we can review the application and carry out a risk assessment on a case by case basis. The outcome of the risk assessment would determine whether a vehicle crossing is achievable and if so the best position.

Yes, providing the gate is 6 metres from the edge of the highway in order to prevent a vehicle from stopping in the highway to open the gates.

This shall be determined on a case by case basis once the application fee has been submitted to carry out a site inspection by the inspector.

By using the online form via link above, to complete the questions as if you were applying for a new vehicle crossing and add the mobility vehicle or motorbike details in the notes section. Please be aware, we will only allow to have no more than 1.8 metres of dropped distance for this type of access.

As part of the initial inspection process, our inspector may decide that a vehicle crossing can be approved with some minor changes to the original request, for example, a reduced number of flat kerbs. The approved layout and design of the crossing will be detailed in our communication with you.

You may choose any contractor to undertake the work as long as they are suitably qualified. A list of the requirements can be found below. You will need to obtain this information from your contractor and forward to us for checking before we can allow them to work on the highway. We reserve the right to refuse contractors from working on the highway if we feel they are not competent. A contractor can be found using a number of sources including an internet search, your own knowledge or word of mouth.

Contractor Requirements:

Valid £10 million public liability insurance.

All site workers to be NRSWA* accredited to Operative level with at least one of the gang accredited to Supervisor level either based permanently on site or available to visit site at any time. (*New Roads and Street Works Act 1991)

All contractors staff working on site must adhere to the prescribed PPE requirements.

You have three months from the date stated on your approval letter to have the works completed. Your contractor must return a Start Notice to us (a blank copy is provided in your documentation) stating the proposed start date of works at the agreed location. We will only be able to agree to the relevant permit to work on the highway once we have received this. If the work is not carried out within this 3 month period, the ‘Stats Request’ information will be out of date; a new request for these will need to be submitted. Again, this will take several weeks to complete and works on the highway will not be permitted until we have received the updated information. If the works are not completed within 3 months of the date on your approval letter you must contact us for advice by email

If you are unhappy with the quality of work undertaken by your chosen contractor, you will need to discuss this with them directly.

A few weeks after the work is completed, one of our inspectors will attend the site to ensure that the vehicle crossing meets the specification and conditional requirements. If the inspector finds that the vehicle crossing does not comply with the specification/conditions set out in our approval, we will contact both you and your contractor. It is your contractor’s responsibility to rectify any defects which are highlighted, and further checks will be carried out to ensure this has been completed.

There may be other options available if you have significant difficulties with your mobility and daily routines and feel you may benefit from a Social Care assessment.

If your query is related to a disabled adult please contact our Adult Social Care Team on 0345 603 7630 or if this is related to a disabled child please contact our Families and Children’s Social Care Team on 0345 603 7627 for further information.

There is no change to the criteria for owners of electric vehicles (EV). We understand there may be issues with charging and accessing a charging point, but we need to balance needs of EV owners with the safety of other road and pavement users accessing the carriageway and footway.


Documents must be uploaded with your application so it may useful to save these on your computer prior to applying.

Apply for Initial Consent

Contractors apply to implement using the Road Space Booking Form below