TTRO application advice and planning a road closure

Advice notes for applicants

Notice period

Planned work

A minimum lead time of 12 weeks (three months) to process a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO). This can be brought forward to 8 weeks (two months) but there must be an agreement with the TTRO Team before the application is submitted. An application submitted without prior approval will be refused.

Applications cannot be processed without a TTRO Application Form, a Traffic Management Plan (TM Plan) (detailing your closure and also your diversion route) and a PAA Application via Street Manager.

The process can not be started and your order can not be created without the required documentation and a PAA. A utility company will apply for a PAA via Street Manager. However a private company, or individual will need to book road space, by using the appropriate road opening notice application form, depending on your activity. 

Any application that requires a TTRO will have a response time of 1 month due to being Major Works.


In the case of Emergency/Urgent work in which a Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) is required applicants should inform the Authority within 2 hours of the immediate activity commencing. In the case of immediate activities taking place outside of normal working hours, the authority should be informed within two hours of the start of the next working day.

The Local Authority or the Police are the only ones that have the powers to approve/close a road. A granted immediate permit is proof that as an Authority we acknowledge that your closure is in place.

A TTRO Application form and TM Plan should always be provided even if the works being applied are retrospective. TTRO Application and TM Plan should be sent in as soon as possible.

Start date and duration

Start dates and duration will be approved by the Authority. The maximum duration of a TTRO and TTRN are below.

Reason for Restriction
Maximum duration
Application type
Emergency / Urgent works (danger to life or property)
21 days
Planned Works
18 months


A 5-day TTRN cannot be extended.

A 21-day TTRN can be extended by a further 21-day notice. However, if more time is required the applicant will need to have an order created to cover the rest of the duration.

Early starts

An early start is always assessed on a case-by-case basis.

A 3-month lead time is usually required for works involving a TTRO, however, an early start may be considered where there is to be a perceived benefit to the travelling public; for example, a collaboration of utilities, or starting early to facilitate other works. There is never a guarantee that an early start will be given.

To satisfy processing of the TTRO, advertising and distribution requirements, an early start can be agreed with 8 weeks minimum notice, but prior approval will need to be sought from the TTRO Team before the application is submitted.


Planned work

The cost of a TTRO is currently £. The fee is made up of:

  • Legal Advertising Costs
  • Legal Administration Costs
  • Processing Fee
  • Several checks regarding co-ordination


The cost of a TTRN is £


If you cancel a TTRO:

  • Before it has been advertised there is no charge
  • After it has been advertised the full fee of either £ or £ applies

Planning a road closure

Have you considered the follow?

Is a road closure necessary?

A road should only be closed if no other suitable form of Traffic Management exists and the minimum requirements for the remaining road width cannot be achieved.

When roadworks are planned, the following should be actively considered:

  1. Can any of the work be carried out off of the highway?
  2. Can the minimum road widths be maintained as per the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice?
  3. Is the decision being made with the worst-case scenario in mind?

What impact will any work will have on the travelling public?

When considering the work that will take place, the travelling public should be at the forefront of the decision being made.

Has there been consideration made for all the following factors: Mothers with children in pushchairs, the elderly in scooters, the visually impaired and disabled people?

Will someone using the road or footway from any direction understand exactly what is happening and what is expected of them?

Have I made the site safe to work in and for the general public?

Will your works affect the A12, A120, M11 or M25?

If the proposed Road Closure going to affect a National Highways Route before an application can be made the applicant will need to contact National Highways to discuss the proposed works.

The PAA Application (booking of Road Space) can be granted however, the PA Major will not be granted without written proof from National Highways that permission has been granted by them for the proposed dates of the works.

Please see below the contact details for National Highways:

Contact email
Area 5: M25
Area 6: A12/A120/M11

Proof of agreement with National Highways is to be sent to or attached to the Permit Application.

Will the road closure or diversion route affect a neighbouring authority?

If your proposed Road Closure or Diversion Route is going to affect a Neighbouring Authority before an application can be made the applicant will need to contact the affected authority to discuss the proposed works.

Neighbouring authorities

Contact Details
Website Address
Cambridgeshire County Council
Enfield Council
Havering Council
Hertfordshire County Council
Redbridge Council
Suffolk County Council
Thurrock Council

The PAA Application (booking of road space) can be granted however, the PA Major will not be granted without written proof from neighbouring authorities that permission has been granted by them for the proposed dates of the works.

Proof of agreement with a neighbouring authority is to be sent to or attached to the permit application. Your PA Major will be refused until proof is provided.

Can the duration be shortened if a road closure is being used?

Has the duration for the proposed works been calculated sufficiently? Is it in line with HAUC’s Agreed Duration Timescales? A PAA and Permit will be refused if the duration does not comply.

Works type
33KV faults
+Day for every extra 50m
7 (up to 50m)
11KV faults
LV faults including street lighting
Prop connections: New / Unmetered supply
New/Unmetered supply
Connections other: disconnect / alter
Pole replacements
Escape repair / lay / alter services / attend escape / disc / dom
Disconnections / Valve checks (first time permanent)
Mains laying
New services/alter service (first time permanent)
+week for each extra 50m
Stop tap / atplas / meter / disc / renew supply / com pipe repairs
Com pipe & new supplies
Sewer repair
Trial hole
All "CAT" work / disconnections
Chambers in the footway
Chambers in the carriageway

If a road closure is required is the proposed diversion route suitable?

Applicants are required to provide a diversion route along with their road closure (unless it is a dead end) which will be assessed by the TTRO Team at Essex Highways.

Wherever possible a diversion route should be of the same class or higher than the road that is being closed. Consideration must be given to every form of vehicular traffic. Separate diversion routes may be required for heavy goods vehicles and cars, because of the nature of the roads in the vicinity of where the proposed works are taking place.

Restrictions on diversion routes

Once the applicant has submitted the TM Plan, TTRO Application Form and PAA Application, the road closure and diversion route will be drawn onto and checked for suitability. When checking the diversions routes the TTRO team will check if the route diverts along the following:

  • Low / weak bridges
  • Fords
  • Directional restrictions (one-way streets)
  • Roads with weight, height, or width restrictions
  • Same classification of road

If the diversion route diverts onto any of these restrictions and the road that is closed does not have the same restriction the application will be refused.

Multiple diversion routes

If at the time that the application is submitted and there is a clash of one diversion route with another, applicants will have the choice of whether they wish to change the dates of the proposed works to avoid the clash or they will be asked to attach symbols to the applicant’s diversion route.

Intermittent closures/restrictions

When the nature of the work requires an intermittent closure or restriction, signs must only be out on site if the road is restricted. If work is suspended, all signing must be removed from the site. It is not acceptable to leave ‘road closure’ or diversion signs on site when the road is not restricted.

Arrangements for pedestrians and cyclists

Where it is practical and safe to do so, provisions for pedestrians and cycle access to properties and through the length of the closure should be maintained by Chapter 8 and the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice.

Arrangements for access to properties

Wherever practical and safe to do so, provision for vehicular access to properties affected by any temporary closure should be maintained. Applicants should liaise with property owners to ensure this is achieved.

Consultation and publicity

Before an application, consultation must take place with key stakeholders in the community that the works will affect the most.

Please see the table at the end of this page that lists various potential consultees.

Applicants are responsible for consulting and discussing the impacts of the temporary restrictions with key local stakeholders which include (but are not limited to)

  • Local businesses and schools
  • Residents residing within the closure
  • Community facilities
  • Local bus companies and the Integrated Passenger Transport Unit -

Any works which include a road closure will require Advance Warning Signs (AWS) placed out on-site at least 2 weeks before works take place. This should be included in the application when it is applied for.

Is the proposed work a Major Project? Would it be beneficial to contact Essex Highways Communications Team? The contact details are below in the table.

Whilst the table is not an in-depth list, the following table identifies various organisations which applicants are required to contact before work takes place depending on the location and nature of work.

Contact Information
Website Address

Emergency Services

Essex Police
Essex Ambulance Services
Essex Fire Rescue Services

Local Councils

Area 1

Braintree District Council
Colchester Borough Council
Maldon District Council
Tendring District Council
Uttlesford District Council

Area 2

Basildon Borough Council
Brentwood Borough Council
Castle Point Borough Council
Chelmsford City Council
Epping Forest District Council
Harlow District Council
Rochford District Council

Other useful contact details

Communications Team