Safer, Greener, Healthier Colchester
A summary of the measures which will be introduced in Colchester under the first stage of Active Travel measures include:
- School Streets cluster off of Lexden Road and 20mph speed limits
- 2km of flow segregation on-carriageway on Lexden Road from Spring Avenue to Crouch Street
- Crouch Street (West and East) eastbound: contraflow cycleway provision, improved public realm, reduced parking and surface crossing for pedestrians and cyclists
- A grade crossing at Balkerne Hill, with the removal of subway
- Return St Johns Street to original highway layout
- Vineyard Street to East Hill: on-carriageway one-way provisions for east and west.
- 20mph speed limit and minor kerb changes to the corridor of High Street and Queen Street
- Permanent repurposing of A134 Station Way S/B bus lane
- Segregated cycleway provision on Head Street
- Experimental High Street TRO restricting general through traffic
- Junction improvement at Head Street / Crouch Street East / St Johns Street to enable cyclists to move safely between the north to south/east to west routes
- 20mph speed limits
- School Street for Colchester North Primary
Please see the map in the documents section for some location detail. Full scheme details can be seen below.