We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. You are free to manage this via your browser setting at any time or through the find out more link.
Find out more
Cookie Portal
Manage and find out more about the cookies used on this website.
View Cookie Settings

Accept All Cookies and Close
Close Without Saving
< Back
This website has 4 types of cookies:
Your preferences will not take affect until the "save and close" button is clicked. To view our cookie policy please visit our cookie policy page.
Strictly Necessary Cookies Used to help you move around the site and use its features. Without these cookies, it will be very hard to use the website.
Analytical/Performance Cookies Used to anonymously track visitors around the website so that we can improve your experience.
Functional Cookies Allows the website to remember your preferences and personalised your experience.
Targeted Marketing Cookies Allows adverts you see to be targeted to you and your interests.
Save and Close
< Back
< Back
Cookie Policy
< Back

Highway Status Enquiries

Highway Status Enquiries


What information is available?

Confirmation of highway adoption and highway boundary plans and nearby road scheme proposals. Please note that we cannot provide information for sites located in Southend, Thurrock or the London Boroughs, If you are not sure which Local Authority you should contact, enter the postcode into find your local council.

Information relating to land ownership is held by the Land Registry

For copies of legal agreements only please contact the Land Charges and Searches Team -


Who can request information?

Anyone can request information, for example members of the public interested in the status of the road where they live or solicitors/personal search companies who require information on the highway (over and above their land charge search carried out by the District/Borough Council).


How much does it cost?

You can review Public Right of Way information, highway boundary, lighting and a list of roads maintained at public expense (adopted roads) for free online.

Click on the following links for more information:

Who is responsible for my road? - Adopted roads

Public rights of way - Register of Public Path Diversions, Extinguishments & Creations and the PRoW Interactive Map

Highway Records - Landowner Deposits and Notices of landowner statements

Please use the Highways Information Map for highway boundary, bus stops and more (use the tool bar to the side to select the required option)


If you require a written response, the cost depends on the size of the individual area in question:

Area  Excluding VAT Including VAT at 20%
up to 200m £41.60 £49.92
201m to 500m £73.35 £88.02
501m to 1000m  £135.76 £162.91
1001m and over* £45.98 per hour £55.18 per hour

*will be looked at on a case by case basis to assess how much time needs to be spent.

How do I request information?


Request a written response on an area up to 1000m online


Request a written response on an area 1001m & over by email