Apply for a new or extend a vehicle crossing or dropped kerb

Apply for a new or extend a vehicle crossing or dropped kerb

A vehicle crossing, or dropped kerb, is when a kerb is lowered and the footpath strengthened, to let vehicles move between roads and properties.

If you’d like to build or extend one of these, you’ll need permission from Essex County Council.


Here’s how to apply.


Who can have a vehicle crossing


  1. Your location must meet the criteria
  2. If your location is on a classified road (A, B or Class III road) you’ll need planning permission before you apply. Check with your local council if you’re unsure whether you need this. You should also check with your local council planning department for any local conditions you may need to comply with, such as a covenant. In particular you should check with Harlow District council where you will require 'open front parking” consent and Epping Forest District, if you are a Council tenant or if you are a freehold or leasehold owner of a former Council property as you will require consent for “off street garden parking”.
  3. The contractor doing the work must be suitably qualified. We’ll need you to submit this information to us for checking before we can allow them to work on the highway (See FAQ for requirements).
  4. You need to agree to our terms and conditions and construction specifications.



How much does permission cost?


  • Vehicle crossing applications cost £284.63. This covers inspection and administration of the work.
  • If your vehicle crossing will cross a watercourse or ditch, there is an extra £50 to cover inspection and administration of this work.
  • If your vehicle crossing involves additional accommodation works such as relocation of drainage, there is an extra £100 to cover inspection and administration of this work.



How do I apply?

You will need:

  • A photograph of the proposed site (not mandatory)
  • A sketch plan including measurements (mandatory)
  • A copy of any relevant planning permissions (mandatory)
  • Written consent from the property owner (mandatory)


Documents must be uploaded with your application so it may useful to save these on your computer prior to applying.

Apply online

Find out more

If you have any questions, please call us on 0345 603 7631 or email

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to reveal/hide the answer:

What happens after I submit my forms and payment?
Why would my application be declined?
I requested a vehicle crossing which is the same as my neighbour, so why has my application been declined? 
How long does the application process take?
I have been granted permission for a vehicle crossing, but it isn’t what I requested on my application – why is this?
Who can undertake the work for me?
How long do I have to complete the works?
What should I do if I’m not happy with the quality of work my contractor has carried out?
I have/my contractor has received a letter saying that my vehicle crossing is defective – why is this?
Is there any funding available for applicants who are registered as disabled?