We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. You are free to manage this via your browser setting at any time or through the find out more link.
Find out more
Cookie Portal
Manage and find out more about the cookies used on this website.
View Cookie Settings

Accept All Cookies and Close
Close Without Saving
< Back
This website has 4 types of cookies:
Your preferences will not take affect until the "save and close" button is clicked. To view our cookie policy please visit our cookie policy page.
Strictly Necessary Cookies Used to help you move around the site and use its features. Without these cookies, it will be very hard to use the website.
Analytical/Performance Cookies Used to anonymously track visitors around the website so that we can improve your experience.
Functional Cookies Allows the website to remember your preferences and personalised your experience.
Targeted Marketing Cookies Allows adverts you see to be targeted to you and your interests.
Save and Close
< Back
< Back
Cookie Policy
< Back

Apply for a Road Opening Notice (book road space)

Apply for a Road Opening Notice (book road space)

Does your work relate to a Section 50 Licence?

Please follow the instructions available on the Section 50 Works Licences page and apply for your Road Opening Notice using the form available on the page.

Do I need a licence to work or open the public highway?

A private company wishing to work or open the public highway for any reason, must have a road opening notice in place from Essex Highways, on behalf of Essex County Council. Anyone excavating or working on the highway must have accreditation for the work he or she is carrying out.

Once an application is submitted you can view your notice at


What are the terms and conditions?

Before submitting your application form, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.


How do I apply for a road opening notice?

Please complete the application below and return it to

Please allow a minimum of:

  • Works of 3 days or less in duration – application form should be submitted 5 days prior to works starting
  • Works lasting between 4 and 10 days in duration – application form should be submitted 12 days prior to works starting
  • Works lasting more than 10 days in duration – application should be submitted 3 months prior to starting work.  

Please complete the application form at the bottom of the page and submit to the Business Services Team. If you require a Temporary Road Closure or Portable Traffic Lights, we will require that you submit the relevant TTRO application a minimum of 12 weeks in advance for road closures and minimum of 10 working days for Portable Traffic Lights. Furthermore, please reference this on your application.


How much does the road opening notice cost?

There is a fee of £150.00 for works with excavation; this includes inspection fees.

  • Inspection charges – Three stages of inspection at £50.00 = £150.00
  • If a defect is found at stages 2 or 3, each additional inspection carried out to check a satisfactory repair will be charged at £47.50. The guarantee period will re-commence from the date of the satisfactory completion of the defect
  • The charge will be waivered if no opening of the highway has taken place. This will be classified as “non street works activity.”

Cheques should be made out to Essex County Council and sent to:

Essex County Council
Childerditch Depot Unit 36
Childerditch Industrial Estate
CM13 3HD


What documentation and information is required?

All applications must be accompanied by the following:

  • Public liability insurance details for a minimum value of £10 million
  • NRSWA accreditation for supervisor
  • NRSWA accreditation for operative.


With the advent of Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs), it is very important that the correct procedure is followed otherwise the promoter will become liable for any such charge generated. A common occurrence is one of promoters failing to notify that works have finished. In order to avoid any such charges, it is necessary to communicate that the works are either finished or they have been cancelled. If a promoter would like to start work before the notice period given in 10, 11 or 12 above, they need to speak to the NRSWA Co-ordinator who can issue a PIN number to allow this. This number is then communicated with the Actual Start Date.  This also applies to any extension request. (Early starts or extensions will only be granted for valid reasons.)


Road Opening Notice Form (597.96 KB)PDF24/09/2018