St Botolph's Circus, Colchester
St Botolph’s Circus is situated to the south of Colchester Town Centre on the A134 Southway at its junction with St Botolph’s Street, Mersea Road and Magdalen Street.
Colchester Town railway station is also situated just off the roundabout.
The junction is partially signalised and has a complex arrangement, particularly on the north side, where vehicles have to cross the roundabout approach lanes on St Botolph’s Street to gain access to the Britannia Way car park.
The Magistrates' Court car park and the railway accessible-parking bays are directly off the roundabout which leads to further safety issues for both drivers and pedestrians.
Regeneration of St Botolph's Circus
The regeneration of St Botolph's Circus is a key element of the wider City Centre Masterplan.
While the Masterplan set’s out the vision for the city centre a successful Levelling Up Fund bid has enabled the St Botolph’s proposals to be brought forward at this stage. Our consultation brochure sets this out in more detail.
Plans for the new layout propose the removal of the existing roundabout layout with a new crossroads design, enabling road space to be re-used to create new plaza areas. As well as improving the area as a gateway to the city centre, this will improve connectivity and accessibility, walking and cycling links and lay the foundation future for future improvements to the bus station.
Long acknowledged as requiring investment, the scheme will set the standard as the first stage of regenerating the wider area delivering:
- Good quality urban realm and gateway to the city centre
- Improved safer environment for everyone
- Improved connectivity for communities to local and wider transport networks through bus, rapid transit, rail services and walking and cycling routes, an inclusive and accessible area for all
- Reduced anti-social behaviour
- Improved health and wellbeing for Colchester residents
- Improved public realm
- Increased footfall to encourage wider economic growth of the area, providing development opportunities and support for local business