Traffic Regulation Orders
Last summer Essex County Council and Chelmsford City Council invited residents, visitors and businesses to complete an online questionnaire about plans to transform Tindal Square.
The six-week consultation ran between June and July 2019 and received 305 responses.
The majority of respondents were in favour of prioritising pedestrians at Tindal Square, with over half strongly supporting the plans to create a high-quality public space to complement Shire Hall.
As part of the scheme, we are planning to change access arrangements for vehicles along the High Street. These changes may impact you:
- For loading and unloading HGVs, access to Tindal Square and the High Street will be restricted to the hours between 6pm and 9am.
- All vehicles will now access the High Street from Baddow Road and exit via New Street.
- Traffic flowing through the High Street will be one-way northbound (Baddow Road to New Street).
- All vehicles will be prohibited from accessing Tindal Square and the High Street from Market Road and New Street.
- A 7.5 tonne environmental weight limit will be imposed on all vehicles travelling between Tindal Square and the High Street.
- Tindal Street will be one-way southbound for its entire length.
A consultation on the necessary Traffic Regulation Orders for the scheme was due to take place in spring 2020.
However, in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, it was decided that a full and fair consultation could not currently take place and it has been postponed until further notice.
The situation will be reassessed in early June.