Licences for skips, scaffolding and hoardings


You need a licence from Essex County Council to put:

  • a skip
  • scaffolding, or
  • hoardings (temporary board fence around a building site)

on any Essex Highways maintainable assets (e.g. road, pavement or verge). 

Please note:

  • You must be a licenced skip or scaffolding contractor, with proof of public liability insurance to £10 million to apply for a skip or scaffold licence
  • Only relevant contractors or commercial organisations may apply for a hoarding licence
  • Skip applications take at least 5 working days to process
  • Scaffolding applications take at least 15 working days to process
  • Any monies paid are non-refundable. Please ensure you check you are applying to the correct authority.

Important - New licence periods:

Skip licences are now valid for up to 7 calendar days

Scaffold licences are now valid for up to one calendar month

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to reveal/hide the answer:

Do I need a licence for a skip or scaffolding?
Who can apply for a licence?
Are there any restrictions or exceptions?
How long is a skip licence valid for?
How long is a scaffolding licence valid for?
How long does it take to process my application?
How much does a skip licence cost?
How much does a scaffolding licence cost?
How do I apply?

Rate this page