Transformational Road and Rail upgrade - Chelmsford North East Bypass
Chelmsford is one of the UK’s newest cities and plays a vital role in the heart of Essex providing homes, jobs, shopping, healthcare, education, leisure and recreational opportunities.
As a driver of the regional economy, Chelmsford needs a transport network to match if it is to properly facilitate future development and economic growth.
As a result, Essex County Council, in partnership with the City Council, and in collaboration with Network Rail, is behind a scheme to deliver a North East Bypass of Chelmsford and a new railway station at Beaulieu.
This transformational road and rail upgrade is being delivered with nearly £218m in funding from the Government’s Housing Infrastructure Fund, plus £34m of other funding from the South East Local Enterprise Partnership and developer Countryside Zest.
The existing A130 between the Boreham Interchange and the A131 was originally built in the 1980s. It needs to be fit for purpose, particularly as Chelmsford continues to grow, catering for increased walking, cycling and public transport.
What the bypass will do
- Enable the 7,000 commuters who travel to Chelmsford from the Braintree area to get to work more quickly.
- Provide a strategic link between Chelmsford, Braintree, London Stansted Airport and the wider area.
- Relieve congestion on local roads and enable existing routes into Chelmsford City Centre, such as Broomfield Road and Essex Regiment Way to become sustainable transport corridors.
- Make accessing the new Beaulieu station a more attractive offer, reducing the need to travel into Chelmsford city centre.
- This will take 900 vehicles out of the city centre each morning peak, helping reduce pressure on the network, which currently only has 4% capacity at peak times.
- Provide easier access to the A12.
- In conjunction with the station, the bypass supports the sustainable delivery of over 14,000 new homes, all with excellent choice and connectivity to a wide range of jobs, amenities and transport modes.
For more information please see the Questions and Answers sheet in the documents section below.
The bypass planning application will be submitted later this year, we will post further information once the planning application has been submitted.
To find out how the bypass will be delivered click on the scheme brochure link.
Housing Infrastructure Fund
In March 2019, Essex County Council submitted a Housing Infrastructure Fund bid titled ‘Chelmsford North East bypass and Beaulieu Railway Station’ about this project.
This sets out how investment into the bypass and the railway station would enable the new development at Beaulieu to reach its full potential.
It also demonstrated how the new bypass will help relieve congestion on local roads.
In August 2019 it was announced that the Council had been successful in its bid, receiving £218 million to take forward the plans, alongside £99million to take forward the A120-A133 Link Road and Rapid Transit System project.
You can find out more by viewing our bid summaries.
Please and download the scheme brochure from the documents section below.
Please see this link to view previous consultation information.
Chelmsford North East Bypass and Beaulieu Station brochure - Audio read-through (narrated by Chelmsford Talking Newspaper) - 12MB