We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. You are free to manage this via your browser setting at any time or through the find out more link.
Find out more
Cookie Portal
Manage and find out more about the cookies used on this website.
View Cookie Settings

Accept All Cookies and Close
Close Without Saving
< Back
This website has 4 types of cookies:
Your preferences will not take affect until the "save and close" button is clicked. To view our cookie policy please visit our cookie policy page.
Strictly Necessary Cookies Used to help you move around the site and use its features. Without these cookies, it will be very hard to use the website.
Analytical/Performance Cookies Used to anonymously track visitors around the website so that we can improve your experience.
Functional Cookies Allows the website to remember your preferences and personalised your experience.
Targeted Marketing Cookies Allows adverts you see to be targeted to you and your interests.
Save and Close
< Back
< Back
Cookie Policy
< Back

Development Management Road Opening Notice

Development Management Road Opening Notice

Development Management sits outside the Essex Permit Scheme and therefore road space needs to be booked using the Development Management Road Opening Notice Form. If you have any works being carried out on a new development  under a Section 38, Section 278 or a Works Permit using the Highways Act 1980 then you will need to process your scheme with the Project Engineer/Technician allocated to you from the Development Management Team but at some point the person undertaking the works will need to apply for your Road Opening Notice under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. 

It is a good idea to approach your Streetworks Co-ordinator (see below) early on in the implementation of your project to plan your works accordingly and have a realistic timescale.

Please contact the Development Management team using the following email address if you have not already done so or have any queries.


How to Process a Road Opening Notice

The following information is mandatory for this process

1.  What are the works you plan to carry out and how long are they expected to take? Please see the table below for timescales and notice periods required:

Minor Notice 

3 working days

Requires 3 working days notice

Standard Notice

Up to 10 days

Requires 10 working days notice

Major Works

3 months

Requires 3 months notice, followed by a 10 day notice before the start date which will have the actual start date


2.  Have you spoken to a Streetworks Co-ordinator? Please see the table below to find your nearest contact: 

Districts covered

Streetworks Co-ordinator

Colchester, Chelmsford, Maldon, Tendring

Glenn Sparrow

Braintree, Castlepoint, Rochford, Uttlesford 

Jenny Lawrence

Basildon, Epping Forest, Harlow

Ray White


3.  Have all the appropriate information/documents/drawings been submitted to a Development Management Project Engineer?  (Traffic Management Plan, Confirmation of a £10 million Public Liability Insurance, NRSWA Supervisor and Operatives Streetworks cards.)