Essex Highways, Safer, Greener, Healthier

Tell us about road or highway issues

We carry out regular inspections of roads and pavements on our network, but we know that issues may come up between these inspections. These could be potholes or other road surface issues, damaged street lights, overgrown trees or missing lit bollards.

You can tell us about maintenance issues online by using our highways reporting tool.

If you think there’s a risk to public safety, do not report it online, please call us immediately on 0345 603 7631 or if you have hearing problems you can use our text phone service on 0345 758 5592.

Issues we don’t look after

You need to contact:

  • your local council for abandoned vehicles, street cleaning, street name plates and road spillages
  • National Highways using or 0300 123 5000 for issues on A12, A120 between the M11 junction and Parkeston roundabout in Harwich, M11 and M25
  • Southend on Sea Borough Council and Thurrock Council for issues in those areas
  • CountyRoute on 0845 351 1130 for issues on the A130, between A12 (Chelmsford) and A1245 (Fairglen Interchange)
  • Parking Partnership about paying parking fines and parking enforcement in Essex
  • residents of each private road or landowners for private roads or roads on private land

Track an existing issue

You can use track it to check if we already know about an issue or track the progress of an issue you’ve told us about.

Tell us about an issue

Please search for the type of issue you want to report, or use the categories below. If you need help please see the 'How to use Tell us and Track it' guide

Use the multifunctional search box (within the map) to enter an address, postcode or area. You can also use a what3words address, by selecting that option in the multifunctional search box. An option to 'Use current location' will appear when you select the search box and can be used if you're at or near the location. You can also zoom in to the map.

Select the map menu (within the map)   to open the legend to find out what the coloured pins mean.

Once you have located the area you wish to report, select the location on the map (you need to select the location on the map even if you have used what3words or 'Use current location' to find the location), use 'Report an issue here' to continue to report your issue.

You can change the location by selecting somewhere else on the map. If you need help please see the 'How to use Tell us and Track it' guide.

 Internet Explorer is no longer supported and the map requires a modern browser, such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari.