About the scheme
Essex County Council has secured £7.3 million to undertake a series of improvements to the A131 (Braintree Road) and A130 (Essex Regiment Way) which is a key strategic route linking Braintree in the north of the county to Chelmsford. £3.6 million of the funding is being provided by the Government's Local Growth fund via the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
The plans support future economic growth of the area, while implementing casualty reduction and safety measures. Roundabout and bus lane improvements are designed to enhance network capacity as well as extend the existing bus lane routes to support public transport including Park and Ride.
The work will be undertaken in phases over a period of approximately 3 years. Dates provided may be subject to change as the project develops.
Proposed Sheepcotes Roundabout improvements
- To provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130).
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from Essex Regiment Way (A130) to Braintree Road (A131).
- Widen the roundabout approach on Essex Regiment Way (A130) to two lanes.
Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension (works complete)
- Extend the existing bus lane provision from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts Farm Roundabout.
Deres Bridge Roundabout casualty reduction improvements (works complete)
- Resurface roundabout and install new road markings to improve driver discipline
- Widen the entry and exit lanes on Braintree Road (A131) southern approach to Deres Bridge Roundabout to provide two lanes in each direction.
Nabbotts Roundabout improvements (works complete)
- Extension of current bus lane on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout.
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from White Hart Lane (A130) to Essex Regiment Way (A130)
When will the work take place on Sheepcotes Roundabout?
Works started Monday 23 September 2019 to improve Sheepcotes Roundabout and highway works were completed in April 2020, with only minor landscaping and remedial works remaining.
A plan of the route improvements is available in the document section below.
We aim to keep residents informed of progress by providing updates to this webpage including details regarding traffic arrangements such as temporary closures, displaying local signage and updating our twitter feed @essexhighways.
You can also visit one.network to view other works in the area.