Progress Update - 14 February 2019: A131 Chelmsford to Braintree route improvements
- Carriageway widening works on Pump Lane have now been completed. We would like to thank you for your patience during these works.
- Following the identification of uncharted utility services last year, roadworks have resumed on Essex Regiment Way to undertake necessary diversions. These are expected to be completed by the middle of February 2019.
- Preparations are now being made to carry out surfacing works overnight during the times/dates below. Please note that works will be subject to weather being suitable. This information is reflected on roadworks.org
- Saturday 9 March (10pm - 5am)
- Sunday 10 March (8pm - 5am)
- Saturday 17 March (10pm - 5am)
- Sunday 19 March (8pm - 5am)
About the scheme:
Essex County Council has secured £7.3 million to undertake a series of improvements to the A131 (Braintree Road) and A130 (Essex Regiment Way) which is a key strategic route linking Braintree in the north of the county to Chelmsford. £3.6 million of the funding is being provided by the Government's Local Growth fund via the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
The preliminary design plans support future economic growth of the area, while implementing casualty reduction and safety measures. A series of roundabout and bus lane improvements are proposed to enhance network capacity as well as extend the existing bus lane routes to support public transport including Park and Ride.
The work will be undertaken in a phased approach over a period of approximately 3 years. Please note that any dates provided are only indicative and may be subject to change as the project develops.
Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension (works complete)
- Extend the existing bus lane provision from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts Farm Roundabout.
Deres Bridge Roundabout casualty reduction improvements (works complete)
- Resurface roundabout and install new road markings to improve driver discipline
- Widen the entry and exit lanes on Braintree Road (A131) southern approach to Deres Bridge Roundabout to provide two lanes in each direction.
Nabbotts Roundabout improvements (in progress)
- Extension of current bus lane on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout.
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from White Hart Lane (A130) to Essex Regiment Way (A130)
Proposed Sheepcotes Roundabout improvements
- Provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130).
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes From Essex Regiment Way (A130) to Braintree Road (A131).
- Widen the roundabout approach on Essex Regiment Way (A130) to two lanes.
- Provide a new section of bus lane on the approach to Sheepcotes Roundabout from Braintree Road (B1008).
We are currently finalising detailed designs for Sheepcotes Roundabout. A drop in event was held on 12 December 2018 at Little Waltham Memorial Hall to provide members of the public an opportunity to view our proposals. Copies are also available to view from the Document section below.
When will the work take place?
Work will be undertaken in a phased approach with details of the difference phases publicised in advance. Please continue to check this web page for updates and follow us @essexhighways.
How will this affect you?
As the programme of work develops, details will be updated to this webpage, and displayed in advance on site signage. Residents directly affected by the works will be contacted separately.
Throughout the various phases of work, traffic management will be necessary and temporary restrictions will be in place including overnight closures. While efforts will be made to keep traffic congestion to a minimum throughout these improvements, it is recognised that works will be undertaken in traffic sensitive areas and there is likely to be some disruption to normal traffic flows.
We would always encourage road users to plan ahead and leave extra time for their journeys. Advanced notice will be given to motorists of any planned lane closures or diversions.
Programmed works may be subject to change at short notice if the works are affected by weather conditions or it unexpected issues arise.
A plan of the route improvements is available in the document section below.
We aim to keep residents informed of progress by providing updates to this webpage including details regarding traffic arrangements such as temporary closures, displaying local signage and updating our twitter feed @essexhighways.