About the scheme
Essex County Council is developing a series of improvements in Harlow and funding has been secured to improve the A414 Edinburgh Way/Cambridge Road Roundabout.
Main works include:
- Dual carriageway for Edinburgh Way between Cambridge Road and River Way Roundabouts.
- Upgrade of the A414 Cambridge Road Roundabout.
- Improve traffic signals at the East Road junction with Edinburgh Way, maintaining a crossing point on the A414 for pedestrians and cyclists.
- With the exception of East Road, vehicles that access premises on Edinburgh Way will be prohibited from turning right due to the new central reservation. Vehicles at the East Road junction will be able to turn in both directions at the traffic signals on completion of works.
The video shows a visualisation of the future scheme
The improvement scheme is part of a £15 million investment in the Harlow road network, to manage congestion and support future local economic growth.
When will the work take place?
The main construction phase began January 2018 and the works are due for completion by the end of April 2020.
Please note that due to the nature of the work being undertaken, dates may be subject to change, for example if we experience unsuitable weather conditions or unforeseen issues.
Works will continue to be phased, with the current programme outlined below:
- Eastbound carriageway widening/footway and drainage works - commenced February 2019
- Westbound carriageway widening/footway and drainage works - due to commence September 2019
- Central reservation works - due to commence January 2020, completing in March 2020
- Remedial works/off carriageway working/site demobilisation - March/April 2020
During the construction period, appropriate traffic management will be in place, allowing one lane of traffic flow to be maintained in each direction for the majority of the works, supplemented by a temporary speed 30mph limit.
Right turn restrictions will be imposed on all side accesses of Edinburgh Way and a right turn restriction at the traffic signals at East Road will remain in place for the majority of the works for the safety of the public and the workforce.
There will also be times when it will be necessary for works to take place across the carriageway. These will be kept to a minimum and where practical works will be undertaken at weekends or overnight with warning notices displayed in advance.
Access for pedestrians and cyclists will be maintained throughout the construction of the scheme.
There may be traffic delays at certain times and work phases which we aim to minimise as much as possible. We would encourage all motorists to allow extra time, plan journeys during these works and take additional care when passing through the area.
Every effort will be made to maintain resident and business access throughout the works, however there may be delays depending on the works being undertaken at the time.
This webpage will continue to be updated as new information becomes available as the scheme progresses. Advance warning will also be provided on roadside signage.
Thank you in advance for your patience and co-operation while we work to improve your roads.