About the scheme
Essex County Council is developing a series of improvements in Harlow and funding has been secured to improve the A414 Edinburgh Way/Cambridge Road Roundabout.
Main works include:
- Dual carriageway for Edinburgh Way between Cambridge Road and River Way Roundabouts.
- Upgrade of the A414 Cambridge Road Roundabout.
- Improve traffic signals at the East Road junction with Edinburgh Way, maintaining a crossing point on the A414 for pedestrians and cyclists.
- With the exception of East Road, vehicles that access premises on Edinburgh Way will be prohibited from turning right due to the new central reservation. Vehicles at the East Road junction will be able to turn in both directions at the traffic signals on completion of works.
The video shows a visualisation of the future scheme
The improvement scheme is part of a £15 million investment in the Harlow road network, to manage congestion and support future local economic growth.
- Westbound closure of Edinburgh Way 24 hours a day 7 days a week - until 9 June.
- Eastbound significant reduction of traffic management - 1 July 2020
- Expected completion of main works - 15 July 2020
Some minor work will continue throughout July following the road safety audit and any remedial work required.
We appreciate your continued support while we work towards completing this scheme.
There may be traffic delays at certain times and work phases which we aim to minimise as much as possible. We would encourage all motorists to allow extra time, plan journeys during these works and take additional care when passing through the area.
Please note, that due to the nature of the work being carried out, dates may be subject to change, for example if we experience unsuitable weather conditions or unforeseen issues.
Traffic management restrictions on Edinburgh Way (Westbound) until 9 June 2020:
Edinburgh Way, westbound will be closed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until 9 June 2020 while essential works continue as we work to complete the scheme.
An appropriate diversion (included in Document Section below) will be in place during the closure and access to all side roads and businesses will be maintained, along with the pedestrian access on the south side of the scheme where possible.
Traffic travelling eastbound on Edinburgh Way will not be affected by the road closure.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this change. We are regularly reviewing and adapting our work programme as the effects of the virus continues.
Visit one.network for further details about these roadworks and others in the area.
Every effort will be made to maintain resident and business access throughout the works, however there may be delays depending on the works being undertaken at the time.
This webpage will continue to be updated as new information becomes available as the scheme progresses. Advance warning will also be provided on roadside signage.
Thank you in advance for your patience and co-operation while we work to improve your roads.