Hatfield Green Culvert, Hatfield Peverel
About the scheme
Reconstruction and strengthening works are due to be undertaken on Hatfield Green Culvert, Church Road, Hatfield Peverel.
The work involves strengthening the masonry arch culvert (a very large pipe under the road) which was originally constructed around 1850 by inserting a structural liner. As part of the works, a smaller culvert and manhole will be dismantled and reconstructed providing safer access for future inspections.
The culvert manages the water flow under the carriageway.
- Works commenced 24 October 2016 and are due to be completed by the end of December 2016. Dates may be subject to change, for example if affected by poor weather.
Update - 1 December 2016
- Reconstruction repairs are progressing steadily despite some additional works becoming necessary.
- The works are currently due for completion by the end of December 2016. Please note that dates are subject to change for example if the works are completed earlier, or if the works are affected by poor weather conditions or unforeseen works.
- The latest updates will be reflected on site signage and updated to this webpage. We regret any inconvenience caused, however the work is a very necessary part of making sure our highways remain safe and meet the required standard.
What is involved and how may it affect you?
- For the duration of the works (approximately six weeks) it will be necessary for Church Road to remain fully closed to vehicles between the junctions of Willow Crescent and De Vere Close as they will not be permitted to pass over the culvert.
- As the work is being carried out on a watercourse it will be necessary to divert it on occasions by use of a pumping system across the road so the culvert is dry to work on.
- Pedestrian access and access for dismounted cyclists will be maintained during the works.
- Properties and businesses will be accessible via a signed diversion route which is shown below.
- Warning notices will be in place prior to the works.
- The majority of works will be carried out between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Friday, however some extended period of working may be required.
The latest information about the scheme will be available on this webpage as well as local signage.