We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. You are free to manage this via your browser setting at any time or through the find out more link.
Find out more
Cookie Portal
Manage and find out more about the cookies used on this website.
View Cookie Settings

Accept All Cookies and Close
Close Without Saving
< Back
This website has 4 types of cookies:
Your preferences will not take affect until the "save and close" button is clicked. To view our cookie policy please visit our cookie policy page.
Strictly Necessary Cookies Used to help you move around the site and use its features. Without these cookies, it will be very hard to use the website.
Analytical/Performance Cookies Used to anonymously track visitors around the website so that we can improve your experience.
Functional Cookies Allows the website to remember your preferences and personalised your experience.
Targeted Marketing Cookies Allows adverts you see to be targeted to you and your interests.
Save and Close
< Back
< Back
Cookie Policy
< Back

How to give feedback

Frequently asked questions and how to give feedback


Who runs the buses in Essex?

Most buses in Essex are run by private operators on a commercial basis. These companies range from small, family-run businesses to big multi-national companies.

Essex County Council does not regulate bus services. Operators are free to determine where and when they run their bus services, provided they comply with the law and regulations set down by the Traffic Commissioner, who is responsible for the licensing and regulation of bus, coach and heavy goods operators.

A small percentage of bus services or routes are run with financial support from Essex County Council. These are shown on our supported local bus services page.

How can I find out if a bus is delayed?

Some operators have updates on their website or on their Twitter pages. Additionally you may find details on travel news from the ECC Passenger Transport Twitter Feed.


How do I give feedback about a bus service?

In the first instance, for all supported and commercial services, you should contact the bus operator directly. Contact details for bus operators in Essex can be found on the bus operators page. You should provide as much information as possible (e.g. route number, date, the time you were at the bus stop/time of incident, your starting point and destination, direction of travel, details of incident, what action was taken at the time) so they can investigate the matter thoroughly.


What if the operator fails to respond or provide a satisfactory answer?

For commercial services only, if, after contacting the bus company you do not feel they have dealt with your enquiry, then you can raise it with Bus Users UK, an independent group championing the interest of bus users and campaigning for better bus and coach services.

The following information is given on the Traffic Commissioner's website:

To Complain about bus punctuality and reliability  - You should contact one of the following organisations to report a bus service that is not running to the Senior Traffic Commissioner’s punctuality  and standards

Bus Users UK


For services operated with financial support from Essex County Council please contact


How can I report a problem with a bus stop or shelter?

To let us know about damage to a bus stop or bus shelter please visit our Report a Highway Problem page.


How can I report a problem with a timetable?

To let us know about issues with a timetable please email us at