Scholar season tickets
The Scholar's Season ticket is a prepaid ticket and can be used on some Essex County Council contracted local bus services. Please download the PDF below for details of services on which the ticket is available. You can use your ticket for 1 return journey each day, at any time, to or from school or college. It cannot be used at weekends or during school/college holidays. The price is based on the cheapest child rate return fare for the chosen journey. This is then multiplied by the number of days per term and a discount of 10% is taken off term tickets or 20% from annual tickets.
Please be aware that some fares have risen on 1 April 2019. This is part of our Fare Increase programme, in order to ensure that route prices are in line with commercial equivelant services.
Not sure which bus service you need?
to find out the bus routes running to your school.
The September 2019 route list is available below in the download list. You can find out which bus route you need by visiting Traveline and entering your travel dates and times. Please note that a scholar's ticket is not available to buy on all routes and is only available to purchase on some ECC contracted services as per below download list.
To purchase a Scholar's ticket you will need to contact the operator directly. To ensure your ticket is ready for the start of term we recommend purchasing a month in advance.
Things to know:
- The scholar ticket is appropriate for children in secondary education. Tickets cannot be offered for parents to accomany their child to school and then return immediately afterwards.
- 18 year olds: on reaching your 19th birthday you will continue to be entitled to purchase a ticket at the child rate fares until the end of the academic year. You can read the Scholar's Season Ticket terms and conditions via the link below.
- You can normally only buy a ticket for one route – you must pick which one if you have several running to your destination.
- If we have reached our limit for ticket sales on a particular route, we’re sorry that the operator may be unable to sell you a ticket. We must adhere to the limits to ensure passenger safety.
- Do you think you might be entitled to free transport? For information about travel to school for pupils who are entitled to free transport, please follow the link to our travel to school pages.
The tickets are now sold directly by the Operator operating the bus service on behalf of Essex County Council.