Latest News - 18 May 2018: A131 Chelmsford to Braintree update
Chelmer Valley Road:
To support the forthcoming Chelmer Valley Road bus lane extension improvements, we have some advance works to utility connections due to take place from 21 May until mid June which will require some carriageway incursion.
Traffic management will be in place to support these works however two way traffic flow will be maintained.
Please allow additional time for your journey and take additional care when driving through the area.
About the scheme:
Essex County Council has secured £7.3 million to undertake a series of improvements to the A131 (Braintree Road) and A130 (Essex Regiment Way) which is a key strategic route linking Braintree in the north of the county to Chelmsford. £3.6 million of the funding is being provided by the Government's Local Growth fund via the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
The preliminary design plans support future economic growth of the area, while implementing casualty reduction and safety measures. A series of roundabout and bus lane improvements are proposed to enhance network capacity as well as extend the existing bus lane routes to support public transport including Park and Ride.
The work will be undertaken in a phased approach over a period of approximately 3 years. Please note that any dates provided are only indicative at this early stage in the design process and may be subject to change as the project develops.
Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension
- Extend the existing bus lane provision from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts Farm Roundabout.
Deres Bridge Roundabout casualty reduction improvements
- Resurface roundabout and install new road markings to improve driver discipline
- Widen the entry and exit lanes on Braintree Road (A131) southern approach to Deres Bridge Roundabout to provide two lanes in each direction.
Nabbotts Roundabout improvements
- Extension of current bus lane on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout.
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from White Hart Lane (A130) to Essex Regiment Way (A130)
Sheepcotes Roundabout improvements
- Provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130).
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes From Essex Regiment Way (A130) to Braintree Road (A131).
- Widen the roundabout approach on Essex Regiment Way (A130) to three lanes.
- Provide a new section of bus lane on the approach to Sheepcotes Roundabout from Braintree Road (B1008).
A131/A130 safety improvements
- Safety improvements including installation of carriageway surfacing with improved skid resistance, signing and lining on the A131/A130.
When will the work take place?
Work will be undertaken in a phased approach.
Vegetation clearance is due to take place February 2018 to support works at Nabbotts and Sheepcotes Roundabouts. Additionally highway works are planned early 2018 at Essex Regiment Way and Chelmer Valley Road to extend bus lanes.
Please continue to check this web page for updates and follow us @essexhighways.
How will this affect you?
As the programme of work develops, details will be updated to this webpage, and displayed in advance on site signage. Residents directly affected by the works will be contacted separately.
Throughout the various phases of work, traffic management will be necessary and temporary restrictions will be in place including overnight closures. While efforts will be made to keep traffic congestion to a minimum throughout these improvements, it is recognised that works will be undertaken in traffic sensitive areas and there is likely to be some disruption to normal traffic flows.
We would always encourage road users to plan ahead and leave extra time for their journeys. Advanced notice will be given to motorists of any planned lane closures or diversions.
Programmed works may be subject to change at short notice if the works are affected by weather conditions or it unexpected issues arise.
A plan of the route improvements is available in the document section below.
We aim to keep residents informed of progress by providing updates to this webpage including details regarding traffic arrangements such as temporary closures, displaying local signage and updating our twitter feed @essexhighways.