Concessionary fares

If you live in England and are of retirement age or an eligible disabled person, you are entitled to an English National Concessionary Bus Pass. Essex residents who are applying for an older persons or disabled persons bus pass for the first time may apply to Essex County Council.

How to apply

You can apply by either:

  • Downloading an application form for older persons or disabled persons at the bottom of this page.
  • Collecting an application form from your local library
  • Call us on 0845 200 0388 for an application form or for assistance completing one.

Current pass holders who have passes due to renewal will be automatically sent replacements, rather than having to reapply.  However, if pass holders have moved since their current pass was issued they should contact ECC on or by calling 0845 200 0388.

Your bus pass is valid in the following locations at the following times:


Location Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) Weekends and public holidays
Essex, Southend and Thurrock AuthoritiesCompanion Passes are valid in these areas 09:00 to 24:00(09:00 to 23:00 in Thurrock) Anytime
Any other local authority in England
(Not all authorities offer earlier discretionary start times – you should check before travel) A companion pass will only act as a standard pass outside of Essex.  Your companion will be required to pay for their travel.
09:30 to 23:00 Anytime
Transport For London Buses(you cannot use your pass on the Underground, DLR or Trams) Anytime Anytime

An Essex companion pass is available for those who have difficulty travelling without assistance. For more information please call 0845 200 0388 or email:


Older people become eligible at the female age of retirement. If you were born before 6 April 1950 you are eligible for a concessionary pass.  If you were born between 7 April 1950 and the 5 April 1955 please use the eligibility calculator below to help you work out when you will become eligible for a pass. On 29 November 2011 the government announced the increase from 66 to 67 will be bought forward from 2034 to 2026. People born on or after 6 April 1960 but before 6 April 1961 will have a State Pension age between 66 and 67. People born on or after 6 April 1961 will have a State Pension age of 67 or higher. This proposed change is not expected to be finalised until the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013. Because this is a proposal and not law, this calculator is based on the current law and does not take the proposed changes into account.

Concessionary pass calculator

The Bus Pass is available to anyone (male or female) who is of the age of female state pension entitlement.  To calculate if you are eligible, please check the State Pension calculator.

Replacing a lost or stolen bus pass

If you have lost your bus pass or it has been stolen, you should call 0845 200 0388 to replace it.  You will need to pay £10 to replace the pass.  If your pass has been stolen, you should report it to the Police and make a note of the Crime Reference Number.  When calling us you should advise us of the Police Authority you have reported it to and the Crime Reference Number.

Bus operator reimbursement

Bus Operators may wish to download the documents below which contain information about the Scheme for 2013/14 and the reimbursement rates.  If you have any questions, please contact Essex County Council by calling 0845 743 0430.  Please note we cannot assist with applications or replacements on this number and you should call 0845 200 0388 if your query relates to a bus pass.