About the scheme:
Essex County Council has secured £7.3 million of funding to undertake a series of improvements to the A131 (Braintree Road) and A130 (Essex Regiment Way) which is a key strategic route linking Braintree in the north of the county to Chelmsford.
The preliminary design plans support future economic growth of the area, while implementing casualty reduction and safety measures. A series of roundabout and bus lane improvements are proposed to enhance network capacity as well as extend the existing bus lane routes to support public transport including Park and Ride.
The work will be undertaken in a phased approach over a period of approximately 3 years. Please note that any dates provided are only indicative at this early stage in the design process and may be subject to change as the project develops.
Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension
- Extend the existing bus lane provision from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts Farm Roundabout.
Deres Bridge Roundabout casualty reduction improvements
- Resurface roundabout and install new road markings to improve driver discipline
- Widen the entry and exit lanes on Braintree Road (A131) southern approach to Deres Bridge Roundabout to provide two lanes in each direction.
Nabbotts Roundabout improvements
- Extension of current bus lane on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout.
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from White Hart Lane (A130) to Essex Regiment Way (A130)
Sheepcotes Roundabout improvements
- Provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130).
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes From Essex Regiment Way (A130) to Braintree Road (A131).
- Widen the roundabout approach on Essex Regiment Way (A130) to three lanes.
- Provide a new section of bus lane on the approach to Sheepcotes Roundabout from Braintree Road (B1008).
A131/A130 safety improvements
- Safety improvements including installation of carriageway surfacing with improved skid resistance, signing and lining on the A131/A130.
When will the work take place?
Work will be undertaken in a phased approach.
The first element being Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension is anticipated to start Autumn 2017.
How will this affect you?
As the programme of work develops, details will be updated to this webpage, and displayed in advance on site signage. Residents directly affected by the works will be contacted separately.
While efforts will be made to keep traffic congestion to a minimum throughout these improvements, it is recognised it is a traffic sensitive site and there is likely to be disruption to normal traffic flows.
We would always encourage road users to plan ahead and leave extra time for their journeys. Advanced notice will be given to motorists of any planned lane closures or diversions.
A plan of the route improvements is available in the document section below.
We aim to keep residents informed of progress by providing updates to this webpage including details regarding traffic arrangements including temporary closures.
Works will also be advertised in on local signage.