Latest News - 28 June 2018: Chelmer Valley Road - July works
A series of roadworks are planned for A1016 Chelmer Valley Road from July 2018 as follows:
- From 9 July, drainage investigations will be undertaken between the hours of 9pm and 5am.
- Construction of the Chelmer Valley Road bus lane extension will follow the drainage investigation works later in July and are expected to continue until the autumn when this element of the scheme is planned for completion.
The carriageway widening works will be carried out during day time hours on the northern verge between Lawn Lane Roundabout and Nabbotts Roundabout. Some occasional weekend or night working may be necessary.
Appropriate traffic management will be on site to manage temporary lane reductions through the area however we would encourage motorists to allow extra time and plan journeys during these works.
Please note that dates may be subject to change if affected by poor weather or unexpected issues arise however the latest updates about the programme will be reflected on site signage and this webpage.
About the scheme:
Essex County Council has secured £7.3 million to undertake a series of improvements to the A131 (Braintree Road) and A130 (Essex Regiment Way) which is a key strategic route linking Braintree in the north of the county to Chelmsford. £3.6 million of the funding is being provided by the Government's Local Growth fund via the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
The preliminary design plans support future economic growth of the area, while implementing casualty reduction and safety measures. A series of roundabout and bus lane improvements are proposed to enhance network capacity as well as extend the existing bus lane routes to support public transport including Park and Ride.
The work will be undertaken in a phased approach over a period of approximately 3 years. Please note that any dates provided are only indicative at this early stage in the design process and may be subject to change as the project develops.
Essex Regiment Way bus lane extension
- Extend the existing bus lane provision from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts Farm Roundabout.
Deres Bridge Roundabout casualty reduction improvements
- Resurface roundabout and install new road markings to improve driver discipline
- Widen the entry and exit lanes on Braintree Road (A131) southern approach to Deres Bridge Roundabout to provide two lanes in each direction.
Nabbotts Roundabout improvements
- Extension of current bus lane on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout.
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes from White Hart Lane (A130) to Essex Regiment Way (A130)
Sheepcotes Roundabout improvements
- Provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130).
- Reduce the size of the central roundabout island to allow two circulatory traffic lanes From Essex Regiment Way (A130) to Braintree Road (A131).
- Widen the roundabout approach on Essex Regiment Way (A130) to three lanes.
- Provide a new section of bus lane on the approach to Sheepcotes Roundabout from Braintree Road (B1008).
A131/A130 safety improvements
- Safety improvements including installation of carriageway surfacing with improved skid resistance, signing and lining on the A131/A130.
When will the work take place?
Work will be undertaken in a phased approach.
Vegetation clearance is due to take place February 2018 to support works at Nabbotts and Sheepcotes Roundabouts. Additionally highway works are planned early 2018 at Essex Regiment Way and Chelmer Valley Road to extend bus lanes.
Please continue to check this web page for updates and follow us @essexhighways.
How will this affect you?
As the programme of work develops, details will be updated to this webpage, and displayed in advance on site signage. Residents directly affected by the works will be contacted separately.
Throughout the various phases of work, traffic management will be necessary and temporary restrictions will be in place including overnight closures. While efforts will be made to keep traffic congestion to a minimum throughout these improvements, it is recognised that works will be undertaken in traffic sensitive areas and there is likely to be some disruption to normal traffic flows.
We would always encourage road users to plan ahead and leave extra time for their journeys. Advanced notice will be given to motorists of any planned lane closures or diversions.
Programmed works may be subject to change at short notice if the works are affected by weather conditions or it unexpected issues arise.
A plan of the route improvements is available in the document section below.
We aim to keep residents informed of progress by providing updates to this webpage including details regarding traffic arrangements such as temporary closures, displaying local signage and updating our twitter feed @essexhighways.