Update - 30 March 2017:
We can confirm the Balkerne Hill on slip road near St Mary's car park has been reopened.
About the scheme:
Essex County Council is developing a series of improvements as part of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) aimed at redeveloping and transforming Colchester’s local highways, footways and cycleways in order to manage the expected increase in movements generated by housing and business growth.
Balkerne Hill Bridge currently provides a pedestrian link from St Mary’s car park and the west to Balkerne Gate and Colchester town centre.
The existing footbridge bridge will be replaced with a widened bridge deck to safely accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians as a shared footway/cycleway facility.
Work will also include alterations to the adjacent footways and the installation of new cycle route directional signs.
When will the work take place?
The works are due to commence early January and the scheme is due for completion March 2017.
Dates may be subject to change, for example if the work is completed earlier than planned, or if the programme of works is delayed due to unexpected issues or poor weather.
How will this affect you?
While efforts will be made to keep the road network flowing as efficiently as possible, road users should expect some delays to journeys caused by temporary lane restrictions during construction:
- Phased day time off-peak southbound and northbound lane reductions on Balkerne Hill
- Short overnight full road closures in both directions on Balkerne Hill, for the removal and installation of the new bridge deck
- Full closure of the Balkerne Hill on-slip from St Mary’s Car Park for the duration of the works, to facilitate construction works.
- Car park access will be maintained for vehicles
- There will be a period of approximately one month during the works when it will be necessary to close the footbridge.
The closure is currently programmed for week commencing 9 January to 28 February however details of the closure will be published in advance on local signage and this web page as they may be subject to change.
Full pedestrian diversions in both directions will be effecting during the closure. Car park access will be maintained for pedestrians.
On site information signs will provide the most up to date information about the work programme an updates will be made available on the website as works progress.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or Essex Highways on 0345 603 7631.